Sonntag, 19. September 2010

words from Northern Britain

Some songs are saved by a single extraordinary line in the lyrics; others are merely graced by one.

Glasgow's Teenage Fanclub are a band that I adore for many reasons, not least for the way that they smuggle aphorisms into their tunes. Not only are they equipped with three songwriting geniuses inventing melodies that leave me breathless - the lyrics too are permeated with lines that make me think “God, I wish I had thought of that myself”. Like the fantastic harmonies, great lyrics are brought forward with such understatement you have to listen twice to believe what you hear. Right in the middle of “Tears”, a song of exquisite and exceeding sadness, there appears the line “You're no sucker, so don't blow it”. Out of context it sounds rather goofy, but listen to the song a few times and you realize that these words are exactly where they belong, completely at one with the surrounding mood.

When a music journalist once informed the band how amazing he thought their records were, the bassist answered “You know, they're just some songs we wrote.” I am glad that they're not.



~


God knows it's true, but I think that the devil knows it too.


(“God Knows It's True”)



Don’t always look for comfort in a song.


(“Fear Of Flying”)



I’d steal a car to drive you home.


(“Don’t Look Back”)



Your love is a paradigm for a man just looking for the next cheap rhyme.


(“The Sun Shines From You”)



Come on over, the future's here.


(“Fallen Leaves”)



You're no sucker, so don't blow it.


(“Tears”)



Seasons change everything.


(“Winter”)



When I see you cry, I think ‘Tears are cool’.

(“Tears Are Cool”)




Of all the stars I’ve ever seen, you’re the sun.

(“Hang On”)



Just kick my feet off the ground, I’ll embrace the sky.


(“Going Places”)



Here is a sunrise – ain’t that enough.


(“Ain’t That Enough”)





2 Kommentare: