Mittwoch, 18. August 2010

déjà entendu

Every once in a while it happens to me that I listen to a song for the first time but get the instant feeling that I must have heard it before sometime in my life. Putting aside the less interesting cases of cover versions and rip-offs, I find this an intriguing experience. It's a feeling as if the song fits somewhere in my mind like a piece of a puzzle into its surrounding pieces, or as if the sound comes out of myself rather than from outside even. I relish these moments, because they almost always presage true favourites, songs that I get attached to. I would really like to have a psychologist / neurologist / musicologist enlighten me to this phenomenon. What I read about déjà-vus so far doesn't seem appropriate to it.

In other cases, it is a line rather than the whole song that triggers a déjà entendu in me. For instance the following:


Das Beste an mir sind wir.
(Bernd Begemann, “Ich hab nichts erreicht außer dir”)



which is German for “The best thing about me is us”, plus it rhymes. I simply cannot belief that the German language had to wait for this line until 2004, when the above record came out. It is so obvious and ingenious at the same time, it must have been there all along. Another case in point is


Of all the stars I've ever seen, you're the sun.
(Teenage Fanclub, “Hang On”)



- I mean, come on... Is there any other way to convey your feelings to the one you love at all? I've been wondering since 1995, when I first heard this song.


Perhaps, then, lines such as these are expressions of the “collective unconscious” à la C.G. Jung? Just a guess...

3 Kommentare:

  1. Luv is a many splendid thing, luv lifts us up where we belong, all you need is luv (Ewan McGregor, Medley from Moulin Rouge)

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Den Begemannsatz finde ich auf tragischkomische und bittersüße Art schön, denn irgendwie ist es doch auch selbstzerstörerisch, wenn man nur das Paar in sich gut findet. Aber doch oft wahr...

    Plus:

    "Wasted hours before we knew where to go and what to do, wasted hours that you made new and turned into a life that we could live"
    (Arcade fire-wasted hours)

    "Better to be hated than loved loved loved for what you're not" (Marina and the diamonds- I am not a robot)

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Hallo Regine, stimmt! - Viele denken halt so, zum Beispiel auch viele junge Eltern... Aber das "ich" ist ja im "wir" gut aufgehoben...

    AntwortenLöschen