Samstag, 7. August 2010

enough is enough

Linguists assume that underlying the organization of our language behaviour is a principle called "the principle of least effort". It states that speakers seek to maximize communicative effects at minimal cost. Put bluntly: "Don't say more than is necessary to get your point across." And note what a great vindication of this principle aphorisms are. Aphorisms need to be sharp and short lest they cease to be aphorisms. Trying to unfurl the meaning of an aphorism in a longer piece of prose is an unrewarding undertaking anyway.

- I like to think that pop musicians are subject to similar rules of expressive economy. I for one am unsettled by otherwise conclusive songs that fray into boring instrumental passages after the final chorus. And even a good chorus can be damaged by repeating it too damn often. Knowing when a song must end is a paramount skill in pop music. Its importance derives from the potentially endless repetitiveness of the song structure.

Today's list starts with a band that never had an issue with knowing when it's enough: The Beach Boys have a remarkable way of fading out their songs at their peak, just when the falsettos are aiming highest, and the swirl of the melody is starting to make you dizzy. "No, don't stop now, keep singing!", I want to shout while listening through my headphones. But then to my relief, there is always the repeat button to push.


~


Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long.
(The Beach Boys, “Wouldn't It Be Nice”)


~


I died so I could haunt you.
(Stars, “I Died So I Could Haunt You”)


~


If I was in the fridge, would you open the door?
(The Lemonheads, “Being Around”)


~


If I ever get the nerve to say hello in this café – marry me.
(Train, “Marry Me”)


~


What I really see in you is nothing like the things you do
as you are doing them right now.
(K’s Choice, “Cocoon Crash”)


~


Here is a sunrise – ain’t that enough.
(Teenage Fanclub, “Ain’t That Enough”)


~


She doesn’t know it, but really she loves you.
(Blues Traveler, “Most Precarious”)


~


I want to die in the summertime.
(Manic Street Preachers, “Die In The Summertime”)


~


You talk about the world like it’s someplace that you’ve been.
(Goo Goo Dolls, “Broadway”)


~


I’ll be the rain on your fire escape.
(Fastball, “Fire Escape”)


~

California sunsets don't mean shit when you're upset inside.
(Hobotalk, “Letter From A Friend”)




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen