Montag, 30. August 2010

a time to every purpose

According to a popular aesthetic classification, painting, sculpting and architecture are “spatial arts”, whereas poetry and music are “temporal arts”. Artworks of the former type are concretely and uniquely realised in a certain portion of space, whereas those of the latter are virtual in nature and need to be materialised in the dimension of time. The dependency of music on time might be a reason why reflections on time are such a common subject in pop lyrics. A quick search through my digital music library reveals 153 tracks with the word “time” in their name (compare: “space” -18 hits, “banana” - 1, “Alejandro” - 0).

From a listener's point of view, I am amazed how time starts to fly by as soon as I sit down by my stereo to pick random tracks from my CD collection.


----------


If time will tell I’m listening.
(Izzy Stradlin, “How Will It Go”)


It's not about you, it's not about sunshine, it's about time.
(The Lemonheads, “It's About Time”)


I’m perfecting the finest art of wasting hours.
(The Jayhawks, “Big Star”)


So sorry for all the days that came only to go away – always.
(Tommy 16, “Griefless Days”)


Time exists, but just on your wrists.
(Travis, “Indefinitely”)


The past is gone, but something might be found to take its place.
(The Gin Blossoms, “Hey Jealousy”)


Time wasted is time well-spent.
(The View, “One-Off Pretender”)


My past, my future, my disease.
(K's Choice, “Now Is Mine”)


Is yesterday tomorrow today?
(The Stereophonics, “Is Yesterday Tomorrow Today”)


The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time. Any fool can do it.
(James Taylor, “The Secret Of Life”)

3 Kommentare: